Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sex and the City vs. the Golden Girls

Is it unconscious envy or have I really grown into a different mindset? With all the Sex and the City movie hype, I find myself longing for something more age appropriate such as The Golden Girls. No, I never was a Golden Girls fan, but at this point neither am I A Sex and the City Wannabe. I have begun to find Carrie's self exploration, reminiscent of my daughters self absorptions before they grew up and settled down. I want to dump the lot of them in therapy and say, "Hey, grow up and stop trying to sex your way through life. Sex is easy; it's learning how to have a relationship that takes work. Get thee into decent therapy and let your hunger get filled. Learn the difference between activity and productivity. Stay still and breathe."
 
Yes, I love bonding between women. And yes, they watch each other's backs. And yes, they are a team. But at my age, do I really want to watch my kids and friends antics all over again? I've risen too many and listened to too many of their age try to grow up. (I admit I still try to help a few S&TC type women and men here and there.)
 
And the fashions? Admittedly, I own several pairs of Manolos. But, blessedly, my life is about far more than shoes. I proudly come from a generation that wore what they wished, which might even have been nothing (if you went to Woodstock and/or were part of the Woodstock nation). And Carrie's red carpet hat-thing perched on her head seemed like a contrived reaching for individuality that neither she nor anyone else needs to spend a fortune on to declare their identity. You can be who you are and wear what you want, and it might even look good instead of silly.
 
OK, tell me I've become an old fuddy duddy and I no longer understand. I really don't think so. I'm happy to applaud the TV series, the movie and all the profits everyone involved will reap. But, truth is told ladies, "It just ain't that new". Anyone my age has seen it beforeand perhaps even been part of their version of sex, (After all, we are the generation that changed everyone's future because the FDA approved birth control for us.)
 
So I am glad Carrie, Miranda and friends are out there for the new generation. But for me, watching their antics makes me happy I'm not young again. Nowadays, a little depth goes a long way. Or as the saying goes: "a little dab will do ya") That's about as much as I can take.
 
Youngsters enjoy. And maybe you too will one day live a few quiet cell free moments and walk in comfortable shoes and feel you look beautiful, just because you are. And men will flock to you, because that's what men do. And you will sit back and choose the one you want with a bit of a flutter and care. Will I see the movie? Maybe? But, with all the wonderful Indie films out there, it certainly isn't my first choice.

No comments: