Monday, May 5, 2008

Over Fifty and Flying High

Once again, I was reminded that the heights able to be reached for those of us over fifty remain far furthermore than many of us easily envision. Saturday, I was in my usual front row aisle seat on my way from DC to JAX. The small 53 seat plane was one of those too crowded, often late, no food experiences we’ve all gotten to know too well. Then, I got delightful jolt. My flight attendant was a blast and before I knew it, I and most of the other passengers were watching his every move, listening to his every word and laughing loudly. He was better than many motivational speakers I’ve heard. He asked what I did, I told him sexpert. He bet me, I couldn’t guess what he had done in his prior job. “Nope" I said. Then, he showed me a truly impressive diamond insignia ring with the words Principal of the Year State of Florida engraved around the stones. Turns out, he had been awarded several other principal awards as well. I could see why. Doug Iscovitz has the winning personality that makes him an easy to follow pied piper. I could imagine him sweeping floors if needed, encouraging staff and students alike and turning a tedious academic experience into a situation for curiosity, learning and fun.

So why this now? I asked. Thirty years of the School system was just fine, he replied. I loved it. But, I decided to retire. Now I’m on to something else - flying and my family and I can travel wherever we want. We love it. His enthusiasm was infectious. He made me want to consider what I too might do next if I really thought out of my own self imposed box.

No comments: