Friday, July 11, 2008

Too Old To Tango? Think Again

After my recent trip to Buenos Aires, I truly believe that if we are willing to risk a little, summon up our courage, and with a little spunk, FiftyAndFurthermores can do just about anything. My husband and I walked and walked this stunningly cosmopolitan and beautiful city. Of course we visited several of the mandatory tourist attractions. One of the "must sees" was our visit to the Carlos Gardel Tango show.

http://www.esquinacarlosgardel.com.ar/cg/index_eng.htm

Touristy, yes; but even as kitschy as the show may be, the dancers' grace is fantastic. My husband and I even decided to go the whole hog and sprang to have our pictures taken with the dancers. (Even though we felt a little silly, the picture is pretty cool.)

The image of the straight backed señors and the señoritas with sensual hips that moved at will, with gracefully curved backs that could lithely touch the floor; it was a seductive elixir. For a moment, I felt envious and wanted to look like that too. So my husband and I planned a dancing lesson of our own at a well known studio. Life intervened in the form of a sick stomach, so we didn't make it to our dance lessons this time. But between the vibrancy of Buenos Aires and the fabulous leather clothes, I just may have to return to obtain a pair of my very own hand made tango shoes and dance my way through my very own version of OZ. Robert Duvall*, here we come.

*Assassination Tango is a 2002 movie directed by and starring Robert Duvall, a crime thriller based on the Argentine tango.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_Tango

Source: Wikipedia, a quote from the rottentomatoes synopsis:

For Duvall, the making of Assassination Tango is the culmination of a long-held dream, combining two worlds he loves so much. In the tango, Duvall finds an amalgam of contradictions, which is what makes it so appealing and also parallels his character in the film. "Tango is sweetness. Some people call it sensual. Some call it sexual. Others would disagree because a mother can tango with her son, a father with his daughter. It's a very personal kind of thrust and a world that's very special."

No comments: